IIPM makes business education truly global

IIPM makes business education truly global, it's always looking forward to associate with brilliant academicians, professionals and a mission to teach our students the best possible management procedures.


Thursday, November 03, 2011

Farah In The Madding Crowd

IIPM: What is E-PAT?

Be it calling the shots or taming the beats, Farah Khan knows how to play it to the gallery like nobody’s business. Spriha Srivastava in an exclusive interview with the alpha female of Bollywood…

You were a student of Sociology. How did movies happen to you?
MJ’s 'Thriller' inspired me to take up dance. But I had never thought dance would take me to Bollywood. I often thought of being a director, but a choreographer, never! In those times, the choreographers had this old-school style and one had to be a dancer first and then after 20 years or so one would get a chance as a choreographer. So that way, I was lucky; one has to be in the right place at the right time.

If you look back, what was a bigger high: your first outing as director or the first song that you choreographed?
First directorial venture, definitely. There’s no high like that. I still remember the feeling I had while doing “Main Hoon Na”. It’s like your first love. I can never forget that excitement and those little details… getting hypersensitive about someone talking about your movie or hearing those praises… nothing can match the feeling of your first film.

You cast Shah Rukh Khan, who was a well-established actor/star, whereas it was your first time as a director. Were there times when there were creative differences?
No, no! I think with Shah Rukh, all was fine. I mean, common, we started our career at the same time. I’ve also been choreographing songs for so many years. So it wasn’t like I was a new person who didn’t know anything about direction. And Shah Rukh, I’d say, has been much more than supportive in every way.

You worked with Deepika who was a first-timer and now Katrina who is also relatively new in the industry. How was it different?
With Deepika, we had to teach her everything because it was her first time in front of the camera. We had to teach her how to look, how to talk, how to turn, how to wave… and other things. I think she’s a quick learner and did a fabulous job. Katrina had been around so I thought it was a different kind of a challenge to make her undo what she’d learnt till now.

Why Akshay Kumar and Katrina Kaif for “Tees Maar Khan”?
It’s written by my husband Shirish and he had written it keeping Akshay in mind. When one reads the script, one would know that Akshay fits in perfectly for it. When I wrote scripts, I would have Shah Rukh in mind and then I would write my script. This script was written in such a way that I could only see Akshay. Katrina and I have worked together before. I had been planning to take her because I thought she and Akshay have done lots of movies together; besides, she also suited the role perfectly. Also, I thought I’ll take it as a challenge to make her look very different and make her dance like she has never done before. That bit has really worked in our favour. It has surprised people.

How do you respond to criticism?
I think criticism affects everyone. In fact, I think I’m doing better now. I remember with my first film, I was really hyper. I would cry and all, but later I realised that if the movie does well and people want to see it again and again – that’s what counts. “Main Hoon Na” was a big hit and is almost like a cult film among children now, but at that time it got very bad reviews. And only I remember those reviews. Today, I feel that it’s a great movie because even now when it comes on TV, it ends up grabbing great TRPs. During “Om Shanti Om”, I really didn’t bother. But of course, if somebody criticises you, it’s human nature to feel bad.

Whose opinion matters to you the most?
Umm… no one, actually. My opinion matters the most to me!

So when film critics talk or write about your movie, do you not take it seriously?
I do, of course, but you want good things to be said and written about your movie. I like it when everyone watches my movie and everyone likes my movie. But after a point, it’s a personal opinion. Some critics might not like the kind of movie I make; some might like to watch festival cinema etc. I make hard core Bollywood movies. I don’t copy any Polish Cinema or French Cinema. I make true-blooded Indian Bollywood films. So, if that does not match somebody’s taste, that person will give a bad review.

After a release at the start of the year, what are the expectations from the year ahead?
I’ve decided to leave all negative energies behind. I don’t want any negative thoughts to enter my mind. I believe that whatever you want to happen, you can make that happen. I’ve done that, including the fact that I have three babies! (laughs). Also, I think detachment from worldly things in a way is good.

For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.
IIPM ranks No 1 in International Exposure in the 'Third Mail Today B-School Survey'
Management Guru Arindam Chaudhuri Dean Business School IIPM
IIPM Excom Prof Rajita Chaudhuri
Kapil Sibal’s voters want Jan Lokpal, not Government-proposed Lokpal Bill

"Thorns to Competition" amongst the top 10 best sellers of the week.
IIPM RANKED NO.1 in MAIL TODAY B-SCHOOL RANKINGS
'Thorns to Competition' - You can order your copy online from here
IIPM Mumbai Campus

Labels: , , ,

Rashmi Bansal Publisher of JAMMAG magazine caught red-handed, for details click on the following links.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home